In his first public comments since his campaign announced it had been hacked, former President Donald Trump accused Iran of being behind the breach while commending the FBI’s ongoing investigation.
“They are looking at it and they’re doing it very professionally, and it looks like it’s Iran,” Trump told reporters as he arrived to cast his vote in Florida’s primary.
However, he declined to share specifics about what the agency has told him. “I don’t want to say exactly, but it was Iran,” Trump stated.
“Iran is no friend of mine. A lot of bad signals get sent,” he later added.
The FBI confirmed on Monday that it had launched an investigation into the incident after the campaign admitted to the breach, which followed several media outlets receiving internal Trump documents from an anonymous source.
The agency began its probe in June and is also examining spear-phishing attempts targeting Biden-Harris campaign officials.
The revelations surfaced after a report from the Microsoft Threat Analysis Center released last week detailed how operatives linked to Tehran targeted an unnamed presidential campaign, among other efforts to influence the race covertly.
Last month, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence warned that Tehran was likely to interfere in the upcoming election, believing that the Democratic candidate might be less inclined to escalate tensions with the U.S.
“The reason is because I was strong on Iran and I was protecting people in the Middle East that maybe they aren’t so happy about,” Trump explained to reporters. “That’s what it seems to be, Iran.”
Iran has denied any involvement in the hack.
